Translate

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Carat Media Internship: Journal Entry #7

This week I continued with much of what I did previously. I entered more data into Excel for my previous client as well as another one that deals with large department store clients selling furniture, jewellery, clothing, technology etc. The keywords that I came up with -as you'd expect- were pretty varied though I did find myself becoming repetitive over time.

Within the first half of the day (after about an hour) I joined the others in a meeting in one of the boardrooms to listen to a discussion on keyword build-out best practice. We decided that the ideal way to carry one out for large websites was to find the smallest section number e.g. 4 tabs reading "home," "garden," "outdoors" and "activities," and from here go into each of those as a separate campaign or category. Within each of these you could create an Ad Group by the name of -for example- "living  room" and within each Ad Group you would list your chosen keywords; (you could go even further into each specific product if you wanted, making very specific Ad Groups.) The idea is that you pick anything and everything that you can because, if you think to search for a string of words in hopes of getting a product, chances are that someone else does that too. On average though, we only allow 50 keywords max in any Ad Group, but if you split it down much further, you could potentially end up with many small Ad Groups that have average keyword numbers of only 10 or less. Ultimately it just depends on the client and campaign sometimes.

My second keywords chart was for a client that sells women's haircare products (driers, straighteners etc.) where I entered a fairly modest sum of keywords (around 100.) I really don't want to show the charts because there was no colour-coding of anything this week, so it all just looks pretty bland. But at the same time, if I put images on here it gives me more metatags to play with when it comes to SEO, so here:


Kitten!  


After this, I conducted what was more of a research task than a keywords one, for a wine company. In this sheet I detailed the wine that was being sold, the origin of that wine, whether it was red, white or rose and finally, noted some key textual components as described in the product copy e.g. "drink young;" "full-bodied" etc. This was in aid of a new campaign that sees release fairly soon.

In all today was very enjoyable albeit being quite repetitive; the meeting was a good highpoint (and not just because of the filtered coffee!) where I learnt more about constructing keyword build-outs, and more importantly, how Carat are seeking to standardise how they place the data into Excel, so that every employee speaks the same language if you will, in terms of the column titles and how the data is written down for each platform where synonyms can potentially confuse.

See you next week . . .

Week 6
Week 8

No comments:

Post a Comment