Translate

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Why Am I Here?


I'm not entirely sure how most bloggers introduce themselves, but we'll start with a simple profile of who I am: My name is Jake, a student at a university in England that shall remain nameless. I like to write -obviously- and have undertaken many different genres, lengths etc. 
   Although my university studies are quite unrelated to this, it is still an interest of mine that flares then wanes depending on current life circumstances. I have often tried to complete projects -many long, some short- in childhood. These proved to be failures for the most part that didn't get completed, mainly, I imagine, because I was just too young and inexperienced. I don't claim to be much more experienced now to be honest, but given that I'm somewhat older, my endurance has strengthened congruent with my weakening self-doubt. Last October I self-published a chapbook of poetry via Amazon Kindle entitled "Distant Lands." The poems contained within focused primarily on aspects of my life so far, personality etc. and infused narrative poetry with romanticist imagery of nature, providing connotations and underlying messages, sometimes made explicit. Although they seemed great at first, many of them were, well, not as good. I continue to write poetry and have a new concept for a second chapbook focusing on the narratives of characters that embody certain ideas, lifestyles etc. The work has a working title of “Myths to Believe In.” I may post some actual works soon once I’ve decided what should go up here.
   My main project is a SF/F novel entitled “Skyscarr,” which started progress in August 2011. I have finished most of the first draft of this work, the word count currently weighing in at around 90,000. To explain the most intricate parts of the plot would be laborious so I shall just wash over the basics for your convenience. The story focuses on a small group of protagonists wanting to discover what a corrupt government has hidden away on a neighbour planet, the maneuver disguised as a travel ban to prevent interplanetary infection of a supposed disease. This is happening against the background of the protagonists being on the run, framed for a terrorist attack that was committed by the military of the same, interplanetary government.
   As a final note, it seems conventional to list the books that I am currently reading in my spare time, which are as follows:

-       No Logo (Klein)
-       The Divine Comedy (Dante)
-       The Dark Tower Vol. V (King)

Thanks for reading if you managed to reach the end of this post and with that, I will see/type you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment